Johannesberg with Johannesberg chapel
The " Odinstein ", today " Johannesberg ", is an ancient and sacred hill. The date of the founding of the " Johannesbergkapelle" ( Chapel ) is uncertain but is mentioned in a document in the year 1356. In Jesuit Chronicles from 1651 there are entries regarding an extension to the church building. Since the 16th Century the chapel has been dedicated to St. John the Baptist. A picture by a Dutch painter of the Mannerist style decorates the altar. Carved into the south face of the hill is the town's war memorial. This was sculpted by the academic sculptor Josef Moser from 1964 - 1966 to commemorate those who sacrificed their lives in the world wars.
- opened daily
Please get in touch for more information.
Alte Post 7, 4801 Traunkirchen
Phone: +43 5 1717